An Ultimatum Unfulfilled
The Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most vital maritime passages through which about 20% of global oil flows, will remain under Iranian control. This was confirmed on Tuesday by Mohamad Baqer Qalibaf, speaker of Iran's Parliament and the regime's chief negotiator, in a speech broadcast on state television during his visit to Iraq.
“Until the United States fulfills its commitments under the memorandum, including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen assets, lifting the oil embargo, ending threats and military operations on all fronts, the strait will not open,” Qalibaf said, according to the Tasnim news agency.
Iran's Non-Negotiable Conditions
Tehran explicitly demands four non-negotiable points:
- Lifting of the naval blockade imposed by the US in the area.
- Unfreezing of Iranian assets held abroad.
- End of the oil embargo that suffocates the Persian economy.
- Cessation of military operations on all fronts, including drone and missile attacks.
Qalibaf said Iran used the 60-day period of the memorandum signed on June 17, 2026 to “increase its economic resilience and rebuild its defense capabilities.” He warned: “We are ready to inflict a more severe defeat on the enemy than before, in proportion to its actions and aggression.”
A War That Began in February
The conflict between Iran and the United States erupted on February 28, 2026 with US-Israeli attacks that triggered a regional war. Although both nations signed a truce in April, sporadic clashes persist, especially in the Hormuz area, where Iran has maintained control since the conflict began.
The Iranian regime requires ships to request passage permission and pay transit service fees, a measure rejected by Washington and Gulf countries. Meanwhile, Iran and Oman have been negotiating the future of navigation in the strait for weeks. According to Tehran, the geographic coordinates of the permitted route have already been agreed upon by both countries.
Trump Raises the Stakes
In a new twist, US President Donald Trump threatened on Monday to attack Oman if the country “gets in the way” of his objectives, despite Muscat having acted as a mediator throughout the process. He suggested Iran should “raise the white flag” and “surrender,” and said he would “soon” declare the Strait of Hormuz as “territory of the United States.”
“We have the blockade, no ship passes unless we want it to,” Trump emphasized, in statements that international analyst Andrés Repetto, in an interview with LN+, described as “all real, verified by international agencies.”
Bounties for Captured Soldiers
Iran's Revolutionary Guard has formalized the payment of $30,000 for each captured US soldier, rising to $60,000 if the capture is carried out by a woman. This measure, reported by international agencies, reflects the extreme tension in the region.
Repetto explained that “the United States has avoided going by land precisely to avoid this type of situation,” and warned that “some analysts speak of the possibility that what we have seen so far is the calm before the storm, and that Iran is preparing for a much larger offensive.”
Global Impact
The closure of the Strait of Hormuz is already having consequences on international markets: oil has surpassed $90 per barrel, with Brent around $87. Saudi Arabia has diverted its exports to avoid the area, but most Gulf producers still lack a reliable alternative.
The war, now more than five months old, keeps the world economy on edge. Meanwhile, the 60-day deadline of the memorandum expired on August 17, 2026 without concrete progress, and negotiations appear stalled in a dead end.
Sources: Deutsche Welle | Infobae | La Nación